Friday, May 2, 2014

The Journey From the Beginning

To say I was nervous before this 20 week ultrasound was an understatement.  I remembered back to my 20 week ultra sound with Avery, thinking it would be a joy-filled experience, when in reality it was not.  We were sent home with knowledge that her kidney had a cyst in it and that was an abnormality that could mean a lot of different, scary things.  Every ultrasound we had after that with Avery's kidney I waited for God to do a miracle, see improvement and prayed he would heal her.  Yet, with every ultrasound we had we only got bad news, until her left kidney had failed and we had to surgically remove it.  I wanted to believe that this ultrasound with Baby #2 would be different, no bad news this time, but somehow I couldn't shake the nerves.  I got into my car and headed to Dunkin Donuts where I spend every Friday morning with God (thanks to a husband that uses his day off to bless a tired mama).  I opened my Bible and immediately started tackling my fear about this ultrasound through God's Word.  As I look back on my journal that morning, here's what I wrote:


       "Lord, help me as I go into this ultrasound.  Calm my nerves. Calm my fears. Hold my hand.  I plead with you for a healthy baby with no complications.  You know the season we are in, Lord, you know I can’t handle anything but good news.  Anything beyond that would be too much, you know that, right?  I know you do.  Help me to trust you no matter what. Help me to really trust you.  Help me to know what that means and looks like."

I remember having a similar conversation with Him as I drove to the appointment.  Kory & I were in a hard season of ministry with lots of shootings happening around us and lots of our kids affected by loss, hurt, pain, and fear.  Living in the city was not easy this spring.  But I had a weird feeling there was more to tackle and this appointment was the start of that.  I begged him for my feelings to be wrong.  I begged him for good news of a healthy baby.  I begged him for peace.

I got to the appointment and met Kory there.  He reassured me that God was in control and we would be ok.  I tried to cling to it.  The ultrasound tech came in and showed us into the dim room, with machines.  She was very friendly and even connected the dots that Avery had many not-so good ultrasounds here before and that this must be a tender time for us, she was right on.  As I got the warm jelly squirted on my belly we excitedly told her we didn’t want to know the gender.  She got started and immediately it happened.  Stiff, cold silence.  My mind started racing, what is she finding, what is she seeing?  I wanted to ask but I knew better not to.  This was the exact same feeling I had with Avery, knots began to form that things weren’t right. 

After only about 2 minutes she told us gently the doctor would be coming in to see us.  She was nervous, we were nervous.  The doctor came in and after only looking at the screen for a few minutes he said the words I pray don’t haunt me the rest of my life.  “Unfortunately, this is a very abnormal ultrasound.”  I broke down.  I sobbed.  I wailed, unashamedly.  I didn’t hear a word he said after that.  It was as if my mind couldn’t comprehend or accept the reality that was placed in front of me.  I kept shaking my head “no” thinking that if I deny what was just said to me maybe reality would change it’s mind and be different.  Kory’s eye were puffy red but he held it together enough to ask the doctor lots and lots of questions.  As I sat in the chair, accepting that my worst nightmare was becoming my reality, I felt so confused.  "God, I thought we had an understanding?  Why are you allowing this?  Why are you handing my worst fear over to me?  I don’t understand, I don’t want to understand.  Please change this, you can change this, why aren’t you changing this?"  It was then in the still of my conversation with him that he spoke to me in a profound way I will never forget.  He said “I’m allowing you to stare your fear in the face and you will experience my peace, presence, and faithfulness, you will see that this will not kill you.  I will be with you, I will not leave you.” 
 “Yes it will Lord, yes it will”, I respond back out loud.  “I don’t want to experience your peace or presence if this is what it means, this is too much, this is too much.”

My conversation with God continued, but I did start to hear the doctor talk of things such as Turner’s Syndrom, heart defects, chromosomal issues and lots of fluid causing organs not to develop.  It was too much to take in.  But I remember thinking “Ok, this is our new normal, I don’t know what Turner’s Syndrom is but we will figure it out, just one step at a time.”  Then the next blow came.  The doctor informed us that this condition is “lethal.”
  “What exactly do you mean ‘lethal’?” I asked.
  “This baby has 0% chance of survival.  At best this baby girl could make it full term and live for a few minutes, maybe an hour.”

And this is where the darkness became unbearable.  Kory and I both sobbed our way through trying to find glimmers of hope in the doctors' rigid statistics.  With our hopeful questions only continuing to be shot down, the doctors and staff realized we needed time alone.  They left the room for a few minutes and I sat in Kory’s lap and we both sobbed.  Our world stopped.  After that half hour, we would be forever changed people and we knew that.  Life not only got harder, it got scary and unbearable. 

The next hour we met with a genetic counselor who tried to tell us what science had to say about our daughter's diagnosis.  I kept reminding God he could change this, he could fix this, he could do a miracle, but would he?  We got in the car and sat in shock of what we were just told.  Kory said some of the most encouraging things to me and to us in that moment. He showed such strength, such faith, and such trust in God.  He started naming off things we still had to be thankful for.  Our baby girl inside was still alive.  We have each other.  We have Avery.  And we have a God that sees, hears, and provides.  We have hope.  I was surprisingly encouraged as well.

The hours to follow as we left the appointment were extremely hard to tell our family and friends the news.  Every time a new family member was told, it solidified our bleak and what felt like hopeless new reality.  It drove the steak in the ground that yes, this was happening and I could not deny it.  The pain got deeper with each recap of what doctors said.  The tears, the crying, the hurt, the brokenness left us feeling emotionally exhausted.  Yet our family and friends that we told felt the pain with us.  They were broken with us.  And that was comforting to me.  We were not alone.  We were loved and cared for.

 In it all, I could still hear God's whisper that I was going to experience him like never before. I knew I was “struck down, but not destroyed, hard pressed on every side, but not crushed, persecuted and hurt but not abandoned by God” (2 Corinthians 4:8-9).  I knew that in my darkest moment, he would somehow see us through and be with us.  That is the only thing that allowed me to sleep that night.  Kory & I fell asleep to this song below that night, and it could not of been more fitting.


No comments:

Post a Comment